UPDATE: The call for Animal Tales is now closed. We received many submissions and the book is being prepared for publication. Stay tuned for more info!
Are you an animal lover? Got a great story about your pet, the outdoors or wildlife? As part of our celebration of Jack London’s The Call of the Wild, we’re sending out a call for “animal tales.” If you email your original short story, poem or essay of 1-4 pages (along with a 1-2 sentence blurb about yourself) to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2014, your work may be selected for publication in the short story collection Call of the Wild Dearborn: Animal Tales. You may include a photo or artwork with your narrative if you like. This program is open to all ages.
Possible topics include:
- A short story, poem or essay about your pet or any animal (real or fictional)
- A short story, poem or essay about the environment, nature or wildlife
- A short story told from the perspective of your pet or any animal (The Call of the Wild is told from the perspective of a dog named Buck)
- An essay about The Call of the Wild
Please attach the completed release form in your email. We will compile all selected stories and produce a book of “animal tales” for our library collection. Also, copies will be available for purchase via a link on our website. Proceeds will benefit the Dearborn Public Library.
To recap, please include in your email:
- Your “animal tale” (sent as a Word document or as text in the message)
- The completed release form
- A short blurb about yourself (1-2 sentences)
- A photo or artwork to go with your narrative (optional)
Email is preferred but you may also mail these items to:
Henry Ford Centennial Library
16301 Michigan Ave.
Dearborn, MI 48126
Attn: The Big Read Dearborn
Or drop them off at any Dearborn Public Library location: Henry Ford Centennial Library, Bryant Branch or Esper Branch
Flyer – Call of the Wild Dearborn: Animal Tales [PDF] – Updated 1/29/14
Release Form – Call of the Wild Dearborn: Animal Tales [PDF] – Updated 1/2/14
Submission Guidelines – Call of the Wild Dearborn: Animal Tales [PDF] – Updated 1/29/14