The Big Read Do You Know Poe? adventure begins with a kickoff event at Henry Ford Centennial Library on Saturday, February 6, 2-4 p.m., featuring:
- Free tabloids, books, and light refreshments
- Music from Poe’s era performed by Dearborn Symphony musicians
- Dramatic readings from his works including a performance of “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Anthony Lucas of The Henry Ford
- Raffle to win a night at the Poe House, courtesy of the Dearborn Inn (drawing at “Meet Poe” event)
- Opening of the “Dreams” Art Exhibit, coordinated by the Artists’ Society of Dearborn
- Poe craft for all ages
Throughout February and March, there will be a series of Poe related events for children, teens, and adults including a film festival, a dream interpretation presentation, mysteries in the library, book discussions, lectures (ravens, forensics, mortuary science, oh my!), and much more.
There are plans to purchase 400 copies of the book in paperback for the kickoff and print 10,000 copies in tabloid format for the entire program. In addition to this, dual language Arabic/English copies will be available. Local area schools will incorporate Poe into their curriculum in fun and exciting ways.
The program will wrap up in March with a special visit from Poe himself! Please see the calendar below for a full schedule of events or click here for a printable calendar of events.